The Collapse of Lehman Brother — Ten Years After
Ten years ago today, Lehman Brothers collapsed — sending the economy into a tailspin. The economy eventually came out of recession in 2010 but all of the gains have been experienced by the wealthy — most Americans have been left behind.
Our fundamental problem is that workers and consumers simply don’t have enough power. What to do?
- Strengthen unions by passing the Employee Free Choice Act.
2. Enforce our anti-trust laws. Corporate concentration — which plagues our economy — leads to lower wages and higher prices.
3. Raise the minimum wage.
4. Enact universal health coverage.
5. Require corporations to allow their workers to elect 40 percent of the membership of their board of directors.
6. Overturn Citizens United and get big money out of politics.
7. Strengthen voting rights under the 15th Amendment.
These reforms would end the oligarchy that is suppressing middle class wages and choking our economy. We can begin by winning in November!